Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Happy 1st Birthday to Mary!!

This has been one of the most bittersweet days of my life. My sweet baby Mary turned one. It breaks my heart when I think about how fast this past year has gone by, but at the same time, I love watching Mary grow and learn. We had a small party for her - complete with four-foot-tall Backyardigans characters hanging on the walls - on Saturday. It was a lot of fun, and Mary had a good time. She loved watching all the little kids running around playing, and she laughed a lot. When it was time for the cupcakes, she was hesitant, but once she realized that the icing was sweet, she put her face right into it.She loooved that buttercream frosting. She even threw have of the cupcake itself on the ground. She just smacked away on that cupcake.

The birth of Mary:

Two days before my due date, I went in for a check-up. I still wasn't dilated at all. My dr sent me for an ultrasound and a non-stress test. The test came back fine, and the u/s showed that Mary was measuring 8.5lbs +/- 1.5lbs. After talking to my dr about this, we decided the at the best course of action would be to schedule a C-section. We were having trouble scheduling - I didn't want any other dr but my own, and he had to be at the practice the only day the hospital could schedule me in. He decided that he'd skip lunch to do my C-section. I couldn't have picked a better dr.

The night before my surgery reality stepped in - I was about to have surgery - something I've never dealt with. When my ILs walked in, I instantly started crying. As badly as I wanted to meet Mary, I was scared out of my mind about being cut open. The morning of my C-section arrives, and I was starving. Because no one told me that I couldn't eat, we stopped on the way to the hospital and grabbed a breakfast sandwich. When I was getting settled into the room, the nurse asked if I'd eaten, so I naturally told her yes. Well, that clearly wasn't the answer she expected to hear. She had to tell the anaesthesiologist who then talked to my dr. My dr called me and was in shock that I had eaten. I reminded him several times that NO ONE told me not to. I was then told that I had to stay at the hospital while they rescheduled me. At this point, I was really worried that my dr wouldn't be able to make it since the surgery was supposed to be at 12:30, and the earliest they would reschedule was 2:30. I learned at 2:00 that my dr canceled his afternoon appointments so he could perform my surgery.

At 2:25 I walked down to the operating room. I sat on the table, and the anaesthesiologist gave me the spinal block. I laid down, and a few minutes later my dr came in. He asked how I was doing, and all I could say was, "Scared." He reassured me that everything would be fine. About ten minutes later, the hubs came in the room. I was so glad to see him. I felt like I couldn't breathe, and I was feeling really queasy. I was given oxygen and medication in my IV for the queasiness. So many things were going on around me, but it was hard for me to focus on anything except feeling like I was going to puke at any moment. The anaesthesia was not agreeing with me. After a few more minutes, my dr told me that they were ready to go. The anticipation was killing me, but the hubs seemed ok because he was taking an occasional peek over the drape. I said, "They make this look a lot faster on the Discovery Channel." The anaesthesiologist answered, "You've only been down for ten minutes."

My dr had a tough time pulling Mary out - she was practically wrapped around my ribs. My dr's partner had to push on the top of my stomach with unbelievable force to help move her out. At one point, they were getting ready to use the vacuum because she was just stuck. After a few minutes, the hubs says, "There's her head" and started to cry. A second later, her cries. It was the most beautiful sound I have ever heard, and I cried the moment I heard her. I wanted to see her so badly, but the nurse whisked her away to the table. I was so glad that the hubs got to see her and was able to record her being cleaned up. I cried until they finally brought her to me and then I cried even harder. I watched as the hubs got to hold her first and then brought her to my face so I could kiss her. At that moment, I didn't ever want her to leave my sight. She was beautiful, chubby, perfect.

After the nurse took her to the nursery, my dr tells one of the other nurses to call down and find out how much Mary weighed because she was "a big baby." "Ten pounds!" the nurse calls out, and everyone in the room shouted, "Whoa!!" It was pretty remarkable, and my dr leaned over the drape to me and said, "I will never regret our decision to do a C-section, and you shouldn't either." I, for one, don't.

I was wheeled into the recovery room and told the hubs to go be with Mary because I didn't want her alone. He and a nurse came in with her 30 minutes later, and I finally got to hold my sweet little girl. She squirmed, squeaked, and made the cutest faces. Her skin was soft, her head round, and her body warm. I didn't ever want to let go. She was everything I had ever dreamed, wished, and hoped for. All my prayers were answered - she was healthy and perfect.

There is not one thing I would change about our experience. I am so grateful for my dr, his partner, the anaesthesiologist, and the nurses for making her birth so wonderful. And for the hubs...I couldn't have asked for a better husband, father, or friend.

I thank God every single day that he blessed our lives with Mary. She is the best thing I've ever done (with a little help, of course), and words can't describe how deeply I love her.

Happy 1st Birthday, my sweet baby girl.

Mary R.

December 17, 2007, 3:10pm

10lbs 21.5 in

2 comments:

holly* said...

aw. thats a great story ma'am!

happy belated bday mary!

Amie said...

I know im late here, but Happy 1st Birthday to Mary!!! Seems like yesterday we were all here, waiting to hear the news and here it is a year later...time flies :( Hope she had a great first birthday, you think this first year was great, just wait, jane, it really does get better with them each and every day!

 


Design by: Blogger XML Skins | Distributed by: Blogger Templates