Thursday, April 23, 2009

My little seal

The munchkin has croup. The cough started on Monday, but she had no fever and didn’t have to go to daycare that day. She had a few coughing fits over the next couple of nights and when she would wake up from a nap, but I honestly didn’t think it was anything serious because she’s had allergy problems over the last week and a half, and I thought that this was a result of post-nasal drip. She was at daycare yesterday, and sure enough she had a low-grade fever. The hubs took her to the dr, and they prescribed ten days of Amoxicillin and three days of Prednisolone. I HATE that she’s on a steroid. It makes me terribly nervous, but after the first dose last night, the coughing fits were less seal bark-like. She still had two fits last night, but it honestly just sounded like a normal cold-like cough.

But giving her that first dose was like a night with Linda Blair part deux. That medicine tasted so bad – the pharmacist warned me about it, and I even tasted it myself. It was horribly bitter and lingered in your mouth. I gave her about ¼ teaspoon (the dosage is ¾ tsp) and tried to follow it with juice, but she immediately started coughing from the awful taste. It wasn’t ten seconds later that we had projectile vomit. She had just eaten (food is required with this medicine), so she was still in her booster seat. I took the tray to the sink, but unfortunately, she was not done. She puked two more times. It was everywhere…her shirt, pants, hands, and feet, the booster seat, chair, floor, and rug. Needless to say, she had a bath in the deep sink in the garage. The next attempt was while she was having a bottle, and we were much more successful.

She really is in good spirits and acts like nothing is wrong. She’s talking, playing, and laughing as usual, which makes me feel better about the whole situation.

My poor munchkin. Daycare is the devil.

No comments:

 


Design by: Blogger XML Skins | Distributed by: Blogger Templates