Saturday, September 20, 2008

There's Something About Sushi

...that just gets me going. There's something even better about making it. Maybe it's because I can make it...and it's good.

I didn't have any of the typical ingredients you find, so I used red bell peppers (sooo yummy), zucchini, and canned tuna. I, too, thought the latter wouldn't be very good, but when you dip it in just the right amount of wasabi/soy sauce...oh.man.

I really love Asian food. Finding some of the ingredients can be pain-staking, but cooking the cuisine is fun for me. You're forced to try new foods and new techniques, and it's adventurous. When we lived in Texas, there was a Hong Kong grocery store about twenty minutes away, and although that place smelled like an old shoe, it was fun to be in. I definitely cooked a lot more Asian dishes then. Our Hong Kong store is only about 25 minutes away, but the drive there is a pain in the ass, and it's in the 'hood that is known as Pleasantville, NJ.

I'm not sure if I've blogged about it, but I joined a CSA farm back in July. Every Saturday, I get a big bag full of organic veggies. It's been worth every penny, and I swear to you that I have lost a couple more pounds since being a member of this co-op. I'm forced to cook fresh veggies several times a week, so we're being force-fed healthy food. I haven't been to the gym since May (what a waste of a membership...), but I'm only ONE pound away from my pre-preggo weight. I'm definitely a proponent for eating healthy veggies and lots of greens for losing weight. If you go to www.localharvest.org, you can find a farm near you. I paid up front for 16 weeks, and it comes out to about $12/week, but if I were to buy the amount of veggies in the grocery store that I get from the farm, I'd easily be spending $25+. Go find a farm!!

1 comment:

holly* said...

love that you signed up with that co-op. i do a lot of farmers markets, but thats coming to a seasonal end pretty soon here with the exception of the scary drum cirlce wednesday one.

if you want i can fill up a box of azn yummies for you and send it your way. we have so many great azm markets. i found a truely fabulous INSTANT miso soup (who would have thought) and some great sauces and what not.

 


Design by: Blogger XML Skins | Distributed by: Blogger Templates